Monday, February 7, 2011

So Long... Too Long! But Pulling it Together




There are those times when "Time" just gets away from you, doesn't it? And I've been away from my blogging for far to long! There have just been so many directions follow, and my old friend "Time" just keeps running past me in an endless race. I usually choose to write if I have something that inspires me to share artistically.

Trying to rest my brain from the larger 30x40 inch collages, but not wanting to stop collaging, I decided to finish up some of my creations that have sat on the sidelines staring at me. I'd swear they're talking to me! "Get done with me!" "I'm waiting..." , so I finished up Canyon Verde, a landscape 20 x 20" (above). The others were very jealous, tapping their feet in wait. But then, inspiration, as it does, took me down another path and I turned their backs to my table.

A couple of months back, I started to create some miniature pieces in a most non-representational format. Working small was always more difficult, but I found it surprisingly refreshing. I tend to go in a direction of landscape or portrait, abstract/impression, so this was so playfully different and I'm really enjoying it. (The only thing I hate is the matting and framing. Never been my favorite pastime.) The 'creating' part is much more fun. Don't get me wrong, working smaller is more difficult if you are striving for an abstraction of a representational piece, but working small in a non-representational piece really makes you think carefully about the Elements and Principles of Design. Naturally, you won't use all of them, but I try to strive for color, balance, line, harmony and perhaps, a few others.



I've been happy with 75% of them so far, but when asking others which ones they like, I'm always surprised. The ones that I don't particularly care for, they like? I'm always asking myself, what do they see that I don't, and why? It's good to hear the answers you receive. This is why a great critique of your art is good- positives and negatives. It helps us grow. Each person is drawn to something different, being individuals with different likes and dislikes. How many times have we finished a piece only to see 'mistakes', missteps or some little incongruency? And then, no one ever notices it but us! Perhaps, second guessing ourselves is not always helpful. I've come to the conclusion that we must strive toward quality in our art, and when it tells us it's done. It's done.
Please check my website at http://www.acomawestcollage.com/ or at the top and look at a few in "New Works" and let me know what you think. I promise to be back more frequently.

3 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you again!!!! I love the works here on the blog. Now I am off to your website :)
    k

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Thank you Kathy! It's good to be back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice about your work in the favour of price be with you and i like your blog so keep it up for your work thanks know more about this click here.

    ReplyDelete

Inspiring Replies